Hotel & Heritage
In early 1935, then Commonwealth President Manuel L. Quezon expressed interest in developing Tagaytay as a tourist destination. It was he who suggested that Manila Hotel build a lodge and golf course in the area. Because of his fascination with Tagaytay, he held Cabinet meetings on the premises of Taal Vista Lodge when it was finally built.
In 1937, the Zamoras of Manila Hotel built Taal Vista Lodge along “Ilong Kastila”—a stretch of flatland perched atop an incline which people said resembled a nose.
During the Second World War from 1942 to 1944, Taal Vista Lodge was converted to an officers’ quarters for the Japanese. In February 1945, the 11th Airborne Division of the US Army parachuted down onto the Tagaytay Ridge to assist in the liberation of Manila.
Between 1956 and 1964 Tagaytay began to be promoted as a major tourist destination in the Philippines with Taal Vista Lodge as one of the leading attractions in the city. One of the many regular visitors of the hotel was a young man who often chose one spot on the grounds from which to gaze out and dream. He is Henry Sy of SM Investments Corporation—the company that would later acquire Taal Vista Hotel.
In 2002, Taal Vista Hotel was reconstructed in the style of the original lodge. Extensions were added to the complex to provide more conference facilities and amenities for business and leisure activities.
In 2004, after its renovation, the Hotel welcomed back its guests and visitors. Today, Taal Vista Hotel remains a landmark deeply entrenched in the history and heritage of Tagaytay City.